From ashes Sangram Singh rose to be one of the most famous wrestlers of Modern India. He is an epitome of hard work, determination and honesty. It is because of these qualities that he won numerable medals in Amateur Wrestling and was accolade with the World's Best Professional Wrestler Award in 2012. Sangram Singh was the first wrestler to represent India in various Professional World Wrestling Championships and Amateur World Wrestling Championships.
“The roughest roads often lead to the top” is a quote that aptly describes Sangram’s journey. Born on 21st July in a small village called Madina, Rohtak district, Haryana, Sangram was a premature baby weighing only 210gms and didn’t have a healthy childhood. In addition to battling a deteriorating health Sangram suffered from arthritis which lead to a paralytic stroke only adding to his woes. He spent almost 8 years of his life on wheelchair. However even after facing all these difficulties in such a nascent stage of his life he never gave up and kept persistently toiling to overcome his health issues. He thought to himself, “This life is god’s gift to me and I surely need to do something big in it”.
It is from these circumstances and situations that Sangram learnt never to give up. It is with his willpower and strength to revive that today he stands on his feet. During his journey he got to know the stories of Lance Armstrong and Rihanna Botha that faced similar battles which gave him additional courage to strive to be the best. He strongly believes that there’s nothing like End in his life; " END means- Efforts Never Die" and Says No means- Next Opportunity for him.
Today Sangram Singh is a famous international wrestler and represents India many times. He has won many medals at national and international levels. In recent times along with professional wrestling he can be seen doing many TV shows and giving fitness tips to youngsters. He also is a great motivational speaker conducting numerable seminars in schools and colleges all over India where he takes inspiration and experience from his own personal life. In his own words, Sangram says,” ’I have learnt a lot due to my past and motivation has been an integral part of my life. If a person like me could stand on his feet and represent India in different countries, I believe everyone can achieve whatever he has dreamed in his life.” His devotion has made him succeed and truly an idol for the Indian youth.Awards & Recognition :
● World Best Professional Wrestler awarded by world professional wrestling federation (2012).
● Gold Medal- Pro Commonwealth Wrestling Championship, South Africa, (2009).
● Participated in Senior World Wrestling Championship- Budapest, Hungary (2005)
● Gold Medallist- John Ritz Big Five International Tournament, Johannesburg, South Africa (2006)
● President Award
● Rajiv Gandhi Award.
● Chhatrapati Shivaji Award for Best Indian Sportsperson (2012).
● National Champion (2003)
● Medal- All India Police Games, New Delhi (2005)
● Unbeaten Champion of Delhi Wrestling Championship from 2002 to 08
● Rajiv Gandhi Rashtriya Ekta Samman (2010)
● Sher-e-Hind- Title (2008)
● Haryana Kumar Title of Wrestling (2000)
● Crown Award- Youth Association India and International Body Building (2010)
● Mr. Haryana Title (2009)
● Brand Ambassador of International Human Rights Organisation 2009
● Brand ambassador for P.E.T.A in 2012
● Brand Ambassador of Sanjay Gandhi Animal Care Centre 2013
● Sports Icon of Delhi University 2012-13
● He is involved in many social and charity work primarily for the girl child TV Shows
● Bigg Boss Season 7-Finalist , Colors TV, 2013
● Survivor India- Star Plus (World’s biggest reality show)- 2011/12
● Welcome Baazi Mehmaan Nawazi Ki, Life Ok Channel- 2013
● 100 percent De Dhana Dhan, Colors TV - 2009
● Big TOSS on INDIA TV – 2010
● Guinness World Record on COLORS - 2010
Sports Documentary (Effort Never Dies – for U.A.E local channels and also screened for many Gulf Film Festivals)
Visit Sangram Singh's website to know more →